Online Course: Flex Your Mind, Yoga off the Mat
Discover the ten ancient yoga principles for more peace of mind in your daily life. Understand why you behave and think as you do, and how to make the changes that will transform your day-to-day experience.
Meditation and yoga is an effective technique to work with the mind and body to provide relaxation, well-being and better health. It is a habitual process of training your mind and body to focus and redirect your thoughts while increasing strength, flexibility and breathing to boost physical and mental wellbeing.
The practice originated in India about 5,000 years ago and has been adapted in other countries in a variety of ways. Yoga is now commonplace in leisure centres, health clubs, schools, hospitals and surgeries.
Yoga and meditation is often used to enable people to manage stressful lifestyles and in recent times we have seen an increase in the number of people who practice meditation for health reasons.
You can use it to increase awareness of yourself and your surroundings. Many people think of it as a way to reduce stress and to develop concentration. It may also help control job-related anxiety in high-pressure work environments.
People also use the practice to develop other beneficial habits and feelings, such as a positive mood and outlook, self-discipline, healthy sleep patterns and even increased pain tolerance.
12 Health Benefits of yoga and meditation:
- Reduces stress
- Control anxiety and depression
- Promotes emotional health and general wellbeing
- Enhances self-awareness
- Lengthens attend span and concentration
- Improves memory
- Can generate kindness
- Support to fight addictions
- Improves sleep
- Helps control pain
- Can decrease blood pressure, heart disease and improve physical health
- Help to manage back pain
- Increase physical activity, especially strength, flexibility and balance.
Meditation and yoga is something everyone can do to improve their mental and emotional health, and you can do it anywhere.
In this 7 week online course you will learn first-hand from author and founder Rachel Bonkink and the 10 principles from her book, ‘Flex Your Mind: 10 powerful Yoga principles for less stress in a busy world’. The book offers a down-to-earth approach and real-life examples from business and personal life, the book shows you how to make your mind stronger – and, ultimately, to make your life lighter and less stressful – by bringing yoga philosophy into your everyday.
This is no stuffy philosophical book. Rachel Bonkink drank too much, worked crazy hours, went for the money and always wanted more: yoga philosophy transformed her life, and it can transform yours too.
What you will learn:
- Learn how to have a more ‘peace of mind’ in every daily life
- How the 10 principles will improve your physical and mental health
- Learn to flex the mind offering different perspective
- Embrace changes
- Learn tools and techniques to manage life stresses
How you will benefit:
- Understand the 10 yoga principle for less stress in your daily life
- Be able to implement every principle physically and practically in your daily life.
Who should attend?
Anyone interested in yoga/meditation. Anyone looking for less stress in their busy life. Anyone who would like to challenge themselves to a new hobby that benefits their daily life.
There will be a combination of LIVE sessions with Rachel and on demand videos covering each principle, this course will be facilitated by Rising Network Cambridge Chapter Lead, Sharon Budworth, Head of HR UK & EMEA at Domino Printing Sciences.
- Principle 1: Non-violence – LIVE on Thursday 8th October at 12:00 – 13:00 BST
- Principle 2: Truthfulness
- Principle 3: Non-stealing
- Principle 4: Moderation – LIVE on Thursday 22nd October at 12:00 – 13:00 BST
- Principle 5: Non-attachment
- Principle 6: Purity
- Principle 7: Contentment – LIVE on Thursday 5th November at 12:00 – 13:00 GMT
- Principle 8: Self-discipline
- Principle 9: Self-inquiry
- Principle 10: Trusting / Surrender – LIVE on Thursday 19th November at 12:00 – 13:00 GMT
How to book:
The event will take place on Thursday 8th October at 12:00-13:00 GMT and registration closes on Thursday 8th October at 09:00 GMT. Places are limited so click RSVP to register today and avoid disappointment.
- Members: Free to attend and included in your membership
- Non-members and Digital subscribers: Due to the global pandemic, COVID-19 and increased levels of anxiety and stress we are offering free places to attend this course.
Flex Your Mind: 10 powerful Yoga principles for less stress in a busy world by Rachel Bonkink. Available to buy from Thursday 23rd July or Pre-order HERE
Invest in yourself and join as an Individual or Enterprise member to:
- Access videos and recordings of past events
- Attend events that are free for members or at discounted member rates
- Improve and enhance your skills to help you to move up the career ladder and to get your next promotion
- Increase your visibility and impact at work, in community and at home
- Pick up tools and techniques to manage daily stress, work/life pressures and wellbeing
- Expand your network by connecting with other creating new relationships
- Learn and build your business and leadership skills
- Overcome personal or professional challenges
- Gain support during transitions in life, work or business
- Increase your presence and promote yourself as an expert
About Rachel Bonkink: Rachel Bonkink is no ordinary yoga teacher. She holds a Masters Degree in Commercial Sciences and a long corporate career as an operational director. She has studied Traditional Chinese Medicine and has been a life coach for over 10 years.
She specializes in organizing and hosting the most amazing yoga retreats, from Costa Rica to Scotland, from France to Morocco, leading groups, teaching yoga and relaxation in stunning locations and inspiring people to embed the principles of yoga into their everyday lives. In 2020, she added online retreats and meditation challenges to the real life experiences.
From the very start of her own yoga journey, the philosophy of yoga resonated with her more than any individual asana, or posture. She has continued to read, study and train to deepen her knowledge of yoga and meditation. Between retreats she lives in Portugal, where she can be found by the beach writing, studying and enjoying life, doing the things that she loves the most.
About Sharon Budworth: Sharon is currently Head of HR UK & EMEA at Domino Printing Sciences in Bar Hill, Cambridge. She has worked in Human Resources for over 25 years, beginning her career in the 1990’s at Napp Pharmaceuticals on the Cambridge Science Park. Sharon has gained significant HR experience across a variety of sectors including Telecoms, Higher Education, Software, Retail and Engineering. She is passionate about HR and is particularly interested in the rising trend in applying ‘disruptive approaches’ in the workplace. An advocate for greater diversity in technology and engineering she is committed to leading change. Domino is now a member of WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) and has started reaching out to similar organisations to find new and innovative ways to attract more women into STEM roles.
Leadership Development, Talent, Engagement, Employee Experience and Wellness are a few of the key projects that Sharon and the Domino HR Team are focusing on right now.
Sharon is a Chartered Member of the CIPD and has also taken opportunities to develop elsewhere. She is a trained Doula, Childbirth Educator and Yoga for Pregnancy Teacher, teaching Yogabirth classes in Cambridge for eight years until 2016. She is married, has three children and lives in St Ives Cambridgeshire.
About the Rising Network: We use the power of community to empower women to realise their true potential, and to achieve balance and happiness. Our vision is to be recognised as a global community that empowers women to become change makers and we enrich our members professionally and personally by providing resources and a supportive learning and networking environment. We offer online and face-to-face events and a forum to upskill where tools, strategies and techniques can be learned and developed. As well as supporting our individual members, we offer corporates, SMEs, universities and other networks our services to support L&D and D&I initiatives. For more information and to join us, visit therisingnetwork.com